Our daughter, typically, WILL NOT touch anything green. Don’t get me wrong, she’s an awesome eater in most other colors of the rainbow…all EXCEPT green. She didn’t start off with a distaste for the color green. From the time she started investigating solid foods through age 2, she wouldn’t hesitate to gobble things up like plain avocado or even avocado and peanut butter sandwiches! After reading an article on the benefit of using the rainbow to do a nutrition check on the types of foods your kids get in a day, it quickly dawned on me that we weren’t great at offering things like salads, peas or, anything green for that matter to our little girl. After quite a few failed attempts, I decided that I needed to get creative and fast. So, I started with breakfast. Our daughter already loved eggs, now it was time to improvise: “Scrambly” Egg, meet, Mr. Spinach.
Green Eggs…Minus the Ham
(Affiliate Ads are BELOW!)
Have kiddos that love eggs? This easy, yummy scrambled egg concoction is now a hit with all the kiddos…even our littlest eater! Aside from being absolutely awesome, spinach is a GREAT super food! Here are some super health benefits according to the Mayo Clinc spinach is:
- High in vitamins A and C
- High in folate
- Antioxidant compounds
- Great source of magnesium
- Carotenoids found in spinach like beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin are protective against some vision diseases.
- Protective against heart disease and certain cancers.
Win-Win! The last reason why these eggs are EGG-ceptional? These eggs are so quick and easy, our kiddos LOVE to make them.
Here’s the SUPER simple way we cook up some “scrambly” eggs in our house:
Heads UP:….we use our own measurements for taste–meaning our kids use their own measurements…NOTHING is exact here!
Second HEADS UP: MOST of our ingredients are organic but you don’t HAVE to use those!
- 2-3 Organic or Free-Range Eggs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese–(if your kiddos like it cheesy…add more!)
- 4-5 spinach leafs….AGAIN–no EXACT amount here!
- 1/4 cup Organic Milk….dependent on egg amount and if you want to add or not!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper…or more! Some like it hot!
- 1/2 teaspoon of butter or olive oil–we use butter!
Heat pan gradually on low-medium heat. Crack eggs, scramble and add the rest of the ingredients! Put butter or oil in pan after all ingredients are stirred.
SIDE SUGGESTION: We also cook up some toast or a bagel and fruit! Pure YUMMY!
That’s all we do! Of course, we have our kiddos wash those hands after preparing this tasty breakfast dish, but one of the best parts is that they made it all on their own!